In the beginning
The parish of St Patrick began the first school in 1883. The Brigidine Sisters came from Ireland and arrived in Masterton in 1898 and lead the school at the previous school site opposite the parish church. We moved to our present site in 1978, which had previously been St Brides Girls’ College. Lay teachers assisted the nuns until 1986 when the last religious sister retired from her position as Principal. A close relationship exists between the school and St Patrick’s parish.
Our Brigidine Charism
The shield and the cross of diamonds are from Bishop Delaney’s coat of arms. He helped to found the congregation of Brigidine nuns in 1807 and he chose St. Brigid as patroness. The straw cross is based on a cross of rushes and tells the story of Christ’s life, death and resurrection. The lamp represents the light of learning and Christian faith. The motto ‘Strength & Kindness’ (gentleness) was Bishop Delaney’s own motto.
The Historic Wall
In 2013, in an effort to preserve some of the history of the original school, Lands Trust Masterton relocated a piece of the old school, which now sits pride of place at the entrance of our school ground